Skip to main content

Be the change you wish to see

Life is not scripted, nor is it planned. How you live your life and what you do for other people is determined by the events and people who influence your decisions. I found at a young age that I had a love and appreciation for nature. Something about it drew me in. As I grew older I realized how much the world around me was in turmoil and constant change, yet nature did its thing like it always does, to the beat of its own drum. The only changes were reflections of outside influences. Some influences good and some bad. As I grew older I began to take notice of subtle changes in the world I lived in and began to worry how far we could tip the scales before we destroyed everything around us. Corporations had become so large that that they were no longer accountable for their actions. They controlled the powers that were designed to control them. In the last five years the effects of manmade chemicals and genetic modification of produce have slowly but efficiently taken their toll on our ecosystem. I've watched the numbers of butterflies and insects begin to decline drastically. You may argue the severe winters and climate change but deep down, it's mans arrogance to play God that has tipped the scales. I began growing and giving away milkweed seed about four or five years ago. At that time, there wasn't much fuss about Monarch population but living in the Midwest you start to notice certain changes in agriculture. There became less area around here from irrigation practices along the easements. There was less native growth and hardly any milkweed at all. Thousands of acres of corn and soy and what was left of the easements were usually mowed and kept clean. So I felt that I should at least do what I could to help the monarch and other pollinators. Here we are today. It's not appreciation or glory I wish to achieve, I find that from the effort I put forward. I encourage anyone to do the same. Do what you can to help and be a part of something bigger. Someday your efforts, no matter how small you may think they are, will pay off. Only then will you realize that you were a part of something greater that changed the world around you. http://monarchconservation.yooco.org/ https://www.facebook.com/monarchconservation

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scientists change butterflies wing color in just six generations

Scientists have chosen the most fleeting of mediums for their groundbreaking work on biomimicry: They've changed the color of butterfly wings. In so doing, they produced the first structural color change in an animal by influencing evolution. The discovery may have implications for physicists and engineers trying to use evolutionary principles in the design of new materials and devices. View the Original article

Best for bees to be stay-at-homes: Imported bees don't do as well as locals

Bees born in the local area manage better than bees imported from elsewhere, a study has shown. "Many beekeepers believe that it is best to buy queens from outside instead of using the queens they have in their own beehives. However, there is increasing evidence that the global honey bee trade has detrimental effects, including the spread of new diseases and pests," says one expert. View the Original article

Fukushima's legacy: Biological effects of Fukushima radiation on plants, insects, and animals

Scientists began gathering biological information only a few months after the disastrous 2011 meltdown of the Fukushima power plant in Japan. Results of these studies are now beginning to reveal serious biological effects of the Fukushima radiation on non-human organisms ranging from plants to butterflies to birds. View the Original article